Foreign Contractors


NCA is empowered by law to register all foreign contractors seeking to undertake construction works in this country.

Foreign contractors should note that they are required to seek registration with the National Construction Authority after issuance of an award letter and before signing the contract and should only undertake construction works or projects with a value limit of category NCA 1.

Therefore, the registration certificate and practicing license issued is specific to the contract being undertaken.

Foreign contractors are also required to attend at least one continuous professional development (CPD) training in each financial year and be awarded 10 CPD points.

They will however make a renewal application based on the date they downloaded their license and certificate.

It should also be noted that in the event that the project duration initially indicated has expired but the project is still ongoing, the foreign firm(s) is required to seek a project extension through their contractor portal.

Registration Requirements

1.Copy of company compliance certificate (attach copies of passport(s) and work permit(s) for the director(s) or certificate of   incorporation and CR12.

2.Academic certificates and testimonials for the technically qualified directors.

3.Academic certificates and testimonials for the technically qualified staff.

4.Work permit(s) for the technically qualified staff.

5.A valid KRA tax compliance certificate.

6.A certified copy of current business license.

7.If applying for electrical engineering works, attach a license from the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA).

8.If applying for communications engineering works, attach a license from Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK).

9.Three years ‘audited accounts, certified by a person registered with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants (ICPAK) and other      relevant financial information.

10.Proof of firm’s past experience locally/other jurisdictions and ongoing project(s) if any.

11.Proof of plant, equipment and machine holdings;

12.Certified copies of documentation proving ownership of assets

13.Sworn affidavit (see sample on NCA website)

14.An undertaking, in writing, stating that the foreign firm shall:

  • a) Subcontract or enter into a joint venture with a local contractor for not less than 30% of the value of contract work for which       temporary registration is sought;
  • b) Best Civil Engineering Contractor
  • c) Transfer technical skills not available locally to a local firm or person in a manner that the Authority may determine from time to time.