Register To Be A Contractor (Local)
Contractor registration is one of the main functions of the Authority and is anchored in the law.
According to Section 15 of the National Construction Authority Act No. 41 of 2011, a person shall not carry on the business of a contractor unless the person is registered by the Board under the Act and has a valid practicing license.
There are eight categories that are available for awardment, NCA 8-NCA 1 and five classes of works, namely:
- Water and Roads, classified under civil engineering works;
- Mechanical and Electrical classified under specialist engineering services; and,
- Building engineering works
Please note that contractors interested in undertaking works under select specialist subclasses will also require licenses from the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) and Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) as shown below:
Generating Plants, Lifts and Escalators.
Intercoms and Telephone Wiring).
These are the steps to register as a local contractor:
- Visit our website; nca.go.ke
- Click the ‘Contractors’ tab, then click on ‘Register to be a Contractor’. This will take you to the registration portal.
- Register an account by filling in the requested information in each field, after which you will be able to log into your account with your National ID/Passport Number input during the registration process.
- Click on the ‘New Application’ tab then click on the ‘New Contractor Registration’ option.
- After submission of the online application a one-time application fee of Ksh 5,000 will be paid, after which the application will be evaluated.
- Upon approval of the online application, an invoice will be generated on your application’s status page.
- Click ‘Proceed to make payments’ under the contractor registration payment status section on your status page.
- Choose your preferred payment method and proceed to make payment. The system will verify the E-Citizen payment immediately.
- Upon successful payment, the NCA license and certificate will be made available instantly for download.
- Click ‘Generate’ to view your NCA certificate(s) then select ‘My Licenses/Certificates’ to download them.
Local Contractor Registration Requirements
- Copy of company registration certificate (attach ID copies of the director/s) or copy of certificate of incorporation and CR12 for incorporated companies.
- Academic certificates and testimonials for the technically qualified directors.
- Academic certificates and testimonials for the technically qualified staff.
- A valid KRA Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC).
- A certified copy of current business license.
- If applying for electrical engineering works, attach a license from the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA).
- If applying for communication engineering works, attach a license from the Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK).
- Proof of firm’s past experience/ongoing project(s) if any.
- Proof of plant, equipment and machine holdings.
- Certified copies proving ownership of assets.
- Three years ‘audited accounts, certified by a person registered with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants (ICPAK) and other relevant financial information.
- May be registered with a contractors’ association (attach membership certificate).
a. Number 1-5 are mandatory requirements for all applicants
b. Number 6 and 7 are mandatory requirements for electrical and communications contractors