Thank you to all our delegates, speakers and visitors for making ICORCE 2018 a success!
ANNUAL CONSTRUCTION RESEARCH CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION FACT SHEET
The Authority has 14 specific mandates which have been coalesced into three major programmes: Regulatory, Advisory and Capacity Building.
Under research, the Authority is mandated to:
The Authority’s Research Journey
Since its inception, the Authority has achieved the following in terms of research:
The National Construction Research Agenda (NaCRA)
ACoRCE is a platform availed to the industry for discussing construction research findings as well as showcasing innovations with a view to foster growth and maximum contribution of the construction industry to the economy.
The first conference was held in September 2015 at Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) attracting over 800 delegates and 25 exhibitors. The conference theme was “showcasing innovations in the construction industry in the 21st century for business development.’’
The conference focused at the private sector participation in:
- Construction engineering and management;
- Construction finance and investment opportunities;
- Construction law;
- Emerging trends in construction;
- Construction education and ICT in construction.
The conference was attended by construction researchers, government ministries and state agencies, engineers, architects, quantity surveyors, entrepreneurs, academics, students among other delegates. International key note speakers came from the United Kingdom, German, America, India, South Africa, Ethiopia, and Zambia among others. The conference covered every aspect and area related to the modern applications of construction, and included site visits to key construction projects across the country.
The conference was opened by Dr. Fred Matiang’i, then the Cabinet Secretary for Land, Housing and Urban Development.
The Second Annual Research Conference and Exhibition took place from the 2nd to 4th November 2016. The conference theme was “nurturing the transformation of local construction industry on materials and technologies for global best practice“ , and was dedicated to seeking solutions to one of the 6 Ms, construction materials.
The conference attracted 3 main events which formed the National Construction Week. The events included:
- Artisan sensitization: The sensitization was held in 4 counties countrywide: Nyeri, Kisumu, Eldoret and Nairobi;
- Exhibitions by local and international construction related companies (over 150 exhibitors participated);
- Conference presentations: 30 Peer reviewed conference papers were discussed
- Site visits: delegates visited 5 different construction sites-cutting across different sub-sectors,Roads, Railway, Water, Materials Production and Petroleum Pipeline.
The 2016 event aimed at:
- Dissemination of research findings with regards to adoption of new technologies in the construction industry;
- Collection of important information and concepts that will guide NCA’s contribution to the development of the National Construction Industry Policy, a critical shortfall of the construction industry in Kenya currently;
- Generation of key recommendations important in developing favorable policies for expansion and growth of the construction industry in Kenya;
- Promoting a construction research culture and uptake of new knowledge and technologies;
- Discussing commercialization of research ideas and innovations for socio-economic development;
- Providing a platform for promoting businesses in the local construction industry through business to business (B2B) meetings amongst local and international participants and exhibitors;
- Bringing together relevant stakeholders to table existing construction industry problems that requires further research and policy interventions.
The official opening ceremony presided over by the Chief Guest, Mr. James Macharia, EGH, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing & Urban Development on 2nd November 2016 at the KICC Amphitheatre, Nairobi. The Housing & Urban Development Principal Secretary Arch. Aidah Munano, HSC, hosted the CS at the official opening.
About 1000 local and international delegates were in attendance.
12 key note speakers delivered their speeches during the conference. The speakers were from Kenya, Zambia, South Africa, Austria, Germany and Sri Lanka.
The organizations that partnered/sponsored/ with the Authority were Kenya Pipeline, Kenya Revenue Authority, Kenya Railways, Mabati Rolling Mills, Bamburi Cement, Savana Cement, Seven Seas Technologies, Architectural Society of Kenya, Institute of Certified Project Managers, Institute of Quantity Surveyors of Kenya, Institution of Engineers of Kenya, Board of Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors, Engineers Board of Kenya, and the Ministry Of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development
The event culminated in a Gala Dinner on the 3rd November 2016.
Partnership with DMG
The Authority partnered with DMG events, a company with over three decades of experience when it comes to the organization of construction exhibitions. Their flagship exhibition, The Big 5 Construct East Africa, is the National Construction Week’s official exhibition, featuring over 150 international exhibitors showcasing thousands of innovative products for the built environment.
Click HERE to view the event.